FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The future of Comfort Class
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:02 am
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by nacho
I have never experienced TK upgrdaing people to CC for free. SK plus has about half a Y (it's not UA Y+). If people really only want bigger seats they won't pay USD 400 more just for that. The worst abou Y+ is that it's for long haul flighs only, so if you have short haul connecting flight you will be in Y seats.

From IST to most Asian destinations are not that far. To HKG is from 8-10 hours, so I don't have such a big need to get bigger seats. However to the US is different, the flight to LAX is much longer than that, a bigger seat would be nice. I think that is definitely part of the reason why CC is always full to LAX.
Wow, 8-10 hours isn't far? I think that's a point we grossly disagree on, I gladly pay a reasonable upcharge for bigger seats on those flights and on TK I usually book A or J for Asia to Europe/ME/Africa, I can tolerate the 2-3 hour connection in Y if going with A fares. G or W are pointless to me since they don't earn miles, so they aren't even in my price comparison, I'd be looking at how much over an L or Q fare most of the time. Now I don't know if TK does free upgrades to CC when Y is full or prefers to let CC fly half empty if no one is buying it and Y is sold out... but that's not my point anyway, other airlines have found a much more modestly sized Y+ and a larger C cabin work well for them. TK's C section is quite small but Y+ is pretty huge (9 rows). Cut CC down to 3-4 rows, add the rest to the C cabin perhaps even cutting a few rows of Y and you have a winner.

BTW SAS Plus is 4 rows on both the A330 and A340, it's no where near half the size of Y.