FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Private Room - Service Sub Standard
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:32 am
Annalisa12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
The Private Room - Service Sub Standard

I was very surprised at the lack of service I received in the Private Room at Singapore.

We arrived at 3 pm for our 8 pm departure so thought we'd relax and enjoy the lounge and airport before departure. We were ushered in to the lounge with lots of attention and sat down in 2 seats opposite a tv. The view from the windows wasn't very exciting so we thought we'd watch tv and read for a while. When we arrived there was only 1 other gentleman in the lounge. Throughout the afternoon there was probably a maximum of 8 of us in TPR.

I motioned over the wait staff and asked for a drink. I had a soft drink and my husband had a champagne. The drinks only were brought over. No nuts or other snacks were supplied. I went in to the small buffet area and noticed they had nuts in a self serve jar but there was nothing to tip them in to. A staff member in the cleaning galley noticed me and came over to ask if she could help. I indicated I wanted some nuts and she went to find a bowl and served them for me. I took them back to the table myself.

I was not really thirsty so I was not that concerned when staff did not come over so I thought I'd just wait to see how long it was before they returned. After 1 hour, and I do not exaggerate, I had to stand up and wave staff over to ask for another drink. Again, the drinks were delivered with no offer of anything to eat or a snack.

After 15 minutes we thought we'd have a snack. I attempted to make eye contact with a number of staff to no avail. I thus had to stand up and walk in to the wide aisle to wait for a staff member to acknowledge me and approach me. I asked for a menu so we could have a snack and this was brought over to us a few minutes later. The order of satay arrived quite quickly. There was no offer to re-fill our glasses.

After our snack we decided to have a walk around the airport and asked a staff member if there was a place to leave our bags so we didn't have to carry them with us. I was told that they did not have a facility to store luggage and we'd have to carry it with us. That was fine if that was the rule, however, we noticed at a desk in the TPR there was a carry on wheely bag with luggage tags attached that was sitting behind the desk up against a wall.

My husband and I had an enjoyable walk around the airport, as well as a foot massage then returned to the lounge. Again, I had to approach staff and ask for a drink instead of them offering one to me.

I don't like staff hovering too much and being overly attentive but the service, or rather lack of it, was unbelievable. I wanted a happy medium of being asked if we wanted a drink or anything every now and then.

Another surprising thing to note, when we checked in at the First Class entrance, our 2 carry on bags and a large box of chocolates were not scanned or visually looked at as we entered the airport. They were screened as we entered the holding area to board, however, one could still have done a lot of damage in the hours before as I wandered around the airport with my unscanned items.