FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q. for TSA Rep AND others - Bringing pills through US customs?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:43 pm
DanishFlyer

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by ESpen36
CBP (Customs) is a different matter entirely. Customs officers are federal law enforcement officers and they are interested in any substances you might be bringing into the country. You need to DECLARE any medications (along with any other items) that you obtained while outside the USA and are bringing into the country, aside from your "personal effects." You might not be permitted to enter the country carrying medications that are not FDA-approved for use in the United States.

("personal effects" refers to items like used clothing, your laptop, reading materials, etc....basically items you have owned for a while and/or are the typical items for a traveler to be carrying, in reasonable quantities for your own personal use)
Oops! Do I really have to declare all medications I bring in (as a visitor)? Where would I do that? The customs form has space to declare items that will be left in the US (for me typically a few small gifts for people I ma visiting), but not for anything else.

I do believe all my meds are FDA approved (although it is possible that one is not approved for the use that it has been prescribed for - have been there before).

BTW, none are narcotics or otherwise high value drugs :-)

Thanks,
DanishFlyer