FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:48 pm
elitetraveler
Suspended

Originally Posted by nh1980
I think QR is able to deliver such a fantastic range of products from its London lounge because most of the passengers are paying for it with F or J longhaul tickets whereas GF and GC are catering for not only premium longhaul and shorthaul but loads of status holders on non-premium longhaul, domestics and short European flights, people on RFS flights etc etc

I almost wonder if BA needed to restore the former quality to its Galleries Club and First lounges, would it make sense to have a separate lounge for domestics (and perhaps the very short European flights) with a decent food offering but a much reduced and cheaper cost bar Ie. Beers, couple of reds and white wines, one champagne/sparkling. The savings can then be reinvested in keeping the existing flagship lounges quieter and of the standard they should be for the higher value longhaul customers. I would lose out if this change came about but realistically I don't need the bar offering to be what it is if I'm getting a 35min flight up north.

You hit the nail on the head IMO --- the alliances, status miles on partner airlines, lounge access no matter your class of service were all developed in a different time period.

Today the cost of providing somebody who flies Y domestic US 70 times a year lounge access at LHR and other points means BA has to water down its product for its true top spenders. The same goes for other airlines. Recently UA increased the cost of redemptions on partners; LX/LH have reduced partner availability for premium cabins. I see the alliances continuing but with altered lounge access rules - i.e. - QR at T4 LHR.

Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
You have rights to your opinions as does the OP.
But come on, comapring Air Botswana to BA ?

BTW all that chilli with all those beans...glad I don't travel in F
The working/living conditions in for the economically challenged in any country are irrelevant to Versace, Prada or BA in terms of offering a product that meets the expectations of paying customers.