FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:44 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
What is the most times you can churn this card before the bank gets mad? I know someone who has churned it 5 times, but has anyone done it 10-20 times?
I have no idea about this bank, BofA (and that's what matters here), but the other bank that is known for "frequent" churning, Citi, hasn't cared if people got a Citi AA card 10-20 times over the years, or got the no-fee HHonors Visa 10-20 times over the years.

Howver, Citi has always had a limit of no more than 2 applications in any 65 day period, so there's a theoretical limit of about 10 to 12 applications per year. So getting to 20 at Citi would require at least about 2 years. (I don't know what the timing limts are at BofA.)

(Please note: While the no-fee HHonors Visa remains churnable at this frequency, the Citi AA cards can no longer be churned that fast. But there were times when they were, and back then Citi didn't care how many of them you got.)

But: Citi has for many many years had some sort of minimum spend requirement for getting the bonus each time. BofA doesn't (usually). So because of that alone, BofA might look at it a bit differently than Citi did.

And getting back to "over the years", yes, it might make a difference as to how quickly you get to 10-20, rather than just whether you get to that many.

Furthermore, it might make a diffeernce how much spend you put on each card. (Especially with offers that don't require any minimum spend, a $3 purchase to get the bonus every single time is probably more likely to make the bank "mad" than you using the card to some more "reasonable" degree for a while.)