FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:41 pm
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by zerolife
Visiting Phuket in Nov. and will be staying at the Westin Saray Bay. I originally planned to rent a car but I'm now considering whether that's a good choice. The issue is I have never driven on the left side and from what I've read, traffic laws aren't really followed in Thailand. Has anyone else driven in Thailand and had their first driving on the left experience?

Alternatively, I'm considering hiring a driver with car instead. Anyone has a good recommendation of an individual or company?
While it was not my first time driving on the left side of the road, I had no issues driving in Phuket. In fact, I have been to worse places — including those where driving is on the left side of the road.

My experience is that it is no worse than driving in any of the other countries in which I have driven. Additionally, I had no traffic or parking problems either.

I would recommend renting a car if the cost is not prohibitive for you — but, of course, be careful and take the precautions you would typically take whenever renting a car.