FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thai Airways (TG) [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free)
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:50 am
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Hoping this is the right thread to get an answer...I've flown TG before, but never with an international-domestic connection, so I have a couple of questions about an upcoming India-KBV trip.

- On the outbound, I have a 2 hour layover in BKK. I understand that I clear both immigration and customs in KBV, and luggage should get checked through at the departure point (MAA). I assume I just follow the signs to the domestic connections for airports that do customs. After going through the procedure, do I end up in the regular domestic boarding area - or is it a special holding area for international passengers?
This isn't correct. While you'll clear customs in KBV you'll go through the immi process in BKK. After gaining entry into the Kingdom and passing security you'll be in the domestic terminal and the TG lounge is in Concourse A. No showers, no booze/beer and minimal snack foods.

- If the latter, is there access to a TG lounge while waiting for the connection? Or at minimum, at least food/service outlets to buy something - early morning arrival, so something to eat would be great. If no to either, is it worth asking in MAA to have bags checked to BKK only, clear customs/pick up bags there, and re-check them for the onward leg? Will there be enough time to do that?
There's a food court near the A/B confluence which opens by 6AM.

- On the return, I have a 4 hour layover in BKK (going back to BOM). IIRC, I can have bags checked through and clear exit immigration in KBV, and go directly to the international departure area on arrival in BKK. If i do this, will I have access to a lounge in KBV? If not, is it worth checking in for the domestic sector (WE-operated, anyway), where I can go to the Thai lounge, and then just check in for the international leg at BKK (layover is 4 hours, so should be plenty of time). Any disadvantage to doing this?
I've never flown exKBV so i can't speak to that particular setup but CNX, HKT and HDY do have lounges accessible on the international side. The latter as a hybrid lounge that serves dom/int pax (it's an odd setup)...

There's no disadvantage to checking in for your Int segment in BKK save the potential for long immi lines depending upon the time of day. If you're in TG C then the BKK proceedings would be a breeze.