FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:32 pm
Gradfly

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by Brugge
You didn't mention; have you applied for more than 1 Citi card in the last 60 days? Has it been more than 18, or even better 24 months since you applied for the old card. Have you had more than 6 HPs in the last 6 months?

If the answers are no, yes, and no, there must be something else in your credit situation Citi doesn't like. I really doubt having an AA cc open for several years would impact an app for another one. That has never been the case with Citi, at least up until yesterday; and I have no reason to think that has changed.

Before you cancel the card you have, call and tell them you are going to cancel it, even if you aren't. You may very well get a retention bonus that makes it worth your while to keep it open. Citi has given me a statement credit of $10 MORE than the AF, plus double points on the first $1K spent per month, for the next 16 months. And that was for my 4th and 5th open AA cards (yep, 5 "regular" AA cards, and an EXEC card, open at the moment. The EXEC card is the only one I've paid an AF on for a number of years now.
Sorry for the lack of details. The only other Citi card I have is the Hilton Reserve which I got last December. As for HP, the last time would be in Jan. When I called, it was to the general application inquiry line. I told the CSR that I was considering applying for the Platinum card but wanted to know if I could migrate the line of credit. She didn't ask any information for my old gold card, just replied with "sorry we can't do that."