FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BAEC focussed trip reports.
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:33 pm
Prospero
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Happy to offer some words of explanation. There is absolutely no hatred toward trip reports by the BA mod team. Quite the contrary, we hold these entries and their authors with the highest esteem and have always treated reports with deference and care, knowing the time and effort expended writing reports is significant.

Travel writing has developed into a highly popular pursuit here on FT, for writers and followers alike. The Trip Reports forum is, and always has been the de facto forum for, well, trip reports. While reports have been aired in this forum until very recently, and stonkingly good reports they too, they are largely invisible to the greater community - by that I mean FT members who do not normally visit this forum. Also, the number of reports posted here has increased over the past couple of years and we were growing concerned the BA forum was becoming, quite unintentionally I should add, a surrogate for the Trip Reports forum. That cannot be healthy, no matter how you look at it.

In light of the opinions expressed by member’s about where reports should be homed, we weighed up the opposing arguments, considered the pros and cons of each. C-W-S’s report followed shortly after, completely by accident but we saw this as a useful acid test. Like other recent reports, this example is beautifully written, analytical and contains descriptive prowess I wish I possessed myself. It is a great read. We absorbed the report like others and diligently followed the discussion. Like everyone else, we had no idea where C-W-S’s travels would take him or by what means. So upon review and apologies if this sounds brutal, the discussion flowed without any real focus on the BA elements of the report. Once upon a time, a live travelogue would have stimulated focused discussion of all facets of the BA service and product. The lack of focused discussion in this report and other recent reports together with consideration to the greater community lead us to a decision that all trip reports would be best placed in the dedicated Trip Report forum.

A new thread containing a growing index of BA related reports was posted here as a bridge to those who do not by their nature venture beyond this forum.

You’ll note that today saw two BA specific flight reports posted in the forum, which we are very pleased to see highly focused responses from BA regulars. Positioning topics of this type would be out of character for the Trip Reports forum and the BA forum is intuitively the best place for these.

I hope this adds clarity.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Edited to add... If you don't visit the Trip Reports forum you'll miss out on all the other fabulous reports posted there. This week, eightblack returned with another rib aching read... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-holidays.html

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 22, 2014 at 4:50 pm