FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ORD-SPI Flight Canceled With no Same-Day Rebooking Available - Other Options/Refund?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:32 pm
PV_Premier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Amicus
Still on the plane, waiting for an open gate.

1) How do I learn the actual reason for my cancelled flight?
If I go on Flightaware, it just confirms that it was cancelled, but no reason given.

Is it likely that air traffic control really did cancel our flight?

RE: renting a car . . . good idea. Since I am on a fully refundable ticket, I guess it makes sense to get the refund and drive. Otherwise, I wait on standby here at ORD for four long hours.

2) I am actually stunned that UA is not obligated to get me to my final destination which is SPI. The res agent on the phone claimed she will only book me tomorrow (Sat) from ORD to STL. I don't understand.

I understand that I will be refunded for the ORD-SPI segment.

3) How likely is it that my rental car refund would be honored?

1) United Flight 5472
Operated by Skywest Airlines dba United Express
Status: Canceled due to air traffic control conditions impacting our flight operations

2) they are obligated, the question is whether you have the patience to wait for an available seat on ORD-SPI. if you are willing to wait (and pay your own way to stay in ORD until that happens) they must put you the next ORD-SPI flight with an open seat.

3) not very likely. you are 100% assured to get a refund for the unused ORD-SPI segment. you are about 5% chance of getting cash out of UA for the cost of a rental car. if you submit the rental car receipt, you may (~50% chance) get a voucher in a similar amount for future travel on UA, or some courtesy RDMs deposited to your MP account.