FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:53 am
merrickdb

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by in2it54
What a mob of "hard cases" you lot are !

We have a airline, that in the last 3 months have about 600 deaduns (including 30 odd crew) on their hands.
Now, nobody want's to fly with them ever again, financially they are going backwards, and then this .........

Could you just give the knife a hard tweak (rotating action) as you plunge it into their heart - make sure both chambers are trashed.

Talk about kicking them while they are down - phew
I have to agree with in2it54 here. Regardless of what some choose to say, I think everyone knew this was a mistake, these are mostly for tickets far in the future, and the cancellations happened quite quickly, not weeks or months after booking. It's also not a case of MH mis-pricing their own flight, where you could argue that they're only incurring the marginal cost of carrying you if the flight otherwise wouldn't have been full. Here, they mis-priced another carrier's flight that they don't even have a codeshare on and honoring it would essentially require them or cheaptickets to buy you tickets on CX.

With 24-hour holds or cancellation rights for consumers now, 24-hour voids for travel agents, and personal experiences where airlines and hotels have allowed me to change or cancel non-refundable travel when I've quickly realized I made a mistake, I think it's a bit unfair of us to not allow MH the same courtesy. MH also allowed all customers to cancel any tickets, even if they were non-refundable, if they didn't feel comfortable flying MH after MH17 was shot down. I love a great travel deal as much as anyone, but regardless of DoT regulations, I think there's a strong ethical argument to let MH off the hook here.