FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:53 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
That is my logic; but I don't know which regulator would get their attention. I do not expect the regulator to affect my case, but to get AMEX into a "consumer friendly" attitude of keeping promises from customer service reps. I would not have spent so much money on the card if they had told me at activation or signup that I would not get the bonus.
CFPB might be?

Google CFPB and see if their scope covers this.

Originally Posted by SamOF
I certainly agree that it's not a good case. And obviously the OP probably knew what what s/he was getting into when the app was made. But, here's the key for me: it's easy to imagine that Amex might make an exception to the general term in order to lure back a former good customer. If a rep then says "You'll get the bonus, now go do the spend," it seems reasonable to think that they made the exception, rely on that exception, and give Amex $$ in the form of merchant fees.

The obvious response is that the OP knew that they probably weren't purposely making an exception, so that certainly weakens a personal case. But regulators might be interested, because an average, non-FT-wise consumer could quite easily have done exactly what OP did.
Agree.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 22, 2014 at 10:14 am