FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: Canada
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:26 am
PrinceWilliam

what to do with Amex MR points?

Hi all,

I'd value some quick feedback from the other frequent travelers here.

I'm an east coast coast Canadian who travels quite a bit, often chaining smaller one-way flights to make longer trips. I visit both Asia and Europe frequently, and will soon be doing lots of intra-continent travel (intra-Asia, intra-Europe, and intra-South America). I mainly travel domestic and my priority is minimizing taxes and fuel surcharges.

I currently have about 300,000 Aeroplan points and 200,000 BA Avios points. I also have about 250,000 Amex MR points.

My Amex gold is coming up for renewal, so I either need to pay the annual fee or transfer the points. My question is about where you think I'll find the best value.

I've found great value with Aeroplan in the past (e.g. North America to Africa for $30, Middle East to Canada for $40, Canada to SE Asia for $60). I've had a really tough time finding value on BA, even with all the helpful websites out there showing the best routes (which almost never seem to be available). The only good use I've had out of the BA program is Montreal - New York, which has been a steal on a regular basis.

As it stands, I'm tempted to just dump them all the MR points into Aeroplan, but I wanted to check with you savvy folks first as a sanity check.

Many thanks!