FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Elevator Out-How much compensation to request???
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:52 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Three doors away was the elevator-with a HUGE out of order sign. Keep in mind-I was on the SECOND floor of this three story behemoth. I had a 22" roller AND a laptop bag. NOW I had to take a flight of stairs??? WHERE WERE THEY? OH, I turned around and found them. Down the steps.... TWO BEADS of sweat formed on my brow. This was hot, humid NC!
Did you check the hotel layout map? Are you sure there wasn't a second elevator somewhere else?

Most three-story hotels I've been at have two elevators, sometimes together but sometimes at opposite ends of the property.

In the past couple months, I stayed repeatedly at one Fairfield where one of the elevators is out for a prolonged period. (It was out for several weeks while I was there, and on my last checkout for curiosity I asked about it, and they said some major parts have to be replaced and they expect it to take at least another month.) At least I (a Marriott Plat) was always given either a first-floor room or a room near the working elevator (at the other end of the property). I don't know if they put guests on the second and third floor near the non-working elevator or not.

Having said that, i rarely use the elevator when I don't have a roller bag. So I can relate to your trip down, but the return trip for the phone, I would voluntarily take the stairs one flight up for something like that, rather than have to wait for a working elevator, if a phone was all I had to carry.

And, by the way, two-story properties often don't have elevators at all. (Though I don't know whether the Marriott program has any of those or not.)