FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Elevator Out-How much compensation to request???
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:38 pm
freyguy50

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Today, I woke for a day of work and meetings. Showered, dressed, talked to my lovely wife, packed and left my room. THEN the trouble started.

Three doors away was the elevator-with a HUGE out of order sign. Keep in mind-I was on the SECOND floor of this three story behemoth. I had a 22" roller AND a laptop bag. NOW I had to take a flight of stairs??? WHERE WERE THEY? OH, I turned around and found them. Down the steps.... TWO BEADS of sweat formed on my brow. This was hot, humid NC!

Down to the lobby and my car. I LEFT MY PHONE IN THE ROOM! WHAT TO DO???

I walked back in. The reception clerk recognized me. I told her I forgot my phone back up the stairs. She offered to have someone get it so I didnt have to hike the stairs. NO WAY! I want every last drop of comp. I can get. UP THE STEPS. Trudge trudge. Grab my phone....back down the steps. Two more beads of sweat CHACHING!

FINALLY into my car and off!

Now, my question....how much comp? I just made LTP. I am thinking 270k points. A nice Cat 1-5 travel package with 120k FF miles. I don't want to be ridiculous and ask for anything higher. Am I aiming to low???

(BTW, everything above happened today-with some embellishment. The interest in comp. is pure satire... )
I think asking for a Cat 7 or 8 is fair since the hotel forced you to forget your phone due to the failure of room design to remind you. Also, I think the hotel should be reprimanded for not showing forward thinking and call you approximately 10 seconds before departing the room to remind you to grab the phone. Or how about not having pack animals or a guy named Earl at the ready for the gargantuan hike down the stairs to aleve the stress of walking and carrying.

Also it is not a privilege, but rather a right to have elevator access with appropriate volumed music to make the travel on an elevator less anxious.

All in all, Marriott dropped the ball on this one and this property needs some serious retraining.