FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:11 am
arlflyer

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I cannot comment in detail. Or, I mean I am not brave enough to.

There has been a definite attempt to change things. Beach chairs and other structures have been removed from the beaches. But who knows how long that will last. Taxi mafia have been charged in court. It's hard to say how that will play out. But, it hasn't changed the extortionate and protectionist policies such as prices, taxis claiming zones as theirs, threats of violence and or mob attacks, and claims of corrupt police closing their eyes to the repeated extortion of tourists by the same old crooks playing the same old games.

It's quite possible that change/progress can be made. But it'll take more than a few months of action. Most of us here have a wait and see attitude.
Thanks for the update, and my apologies for putting you in a tough spot. Sounds like things are net positive, and I hope they keep looking up. Tourism numbers are still dropping according to the latest figures, so maybe that will help keep up the pressure to crack down on some of the less visitor-friendly practices. I'm optimistic and looking forward to my time there!