FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:24 am
seanthepilot
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by isaifan
What's the issue with arriving at night? Our flight is schedule to arrive at 01:30. Is reserving a car direct from the hotel a better alternative? Thanks
You will want to book a pickup from somewhere you can trust. Most will find that is via the hotel they are staying with.

After midnight (or a little before) many drivers have gone home for the night. At this point, the cars can ask as much as they want... and they DO. I know of people who were charged 1500THB to get a ride to Patong "after hours". I have fought to get a ride, and have settled with 850 to Patong. Their response was "You have to pay this price, or wait until 6:30 in the morning.

After peak periods where all cars have been taken there can be quite a long queue before any cars come back. This will happen in high season after a few 747's land.... beware if you're on the flight AFTER these ones land. A round trip to many areas and back can take a driver 2 hours.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
No need to order a car from the hotel to pick you up. Upon arrival, book a car transfer at the counter for airport minibus and limousine services (you will find the counter in the arrivals hall when you exit the bagage area). Fixed (but inflated) fares ranging from 600 -1,200 B depending on your destination. I believe Patong is 800 Bath and Karon/Kata is 1,000-1,200

There will most likely be no public taxi available at that hour (and the saving is not much anyway)
This advice is ok, if you arrive during normal hours, 7am-10:30pm. But, not for all times/situations, IMHO.

I HATE waiting an hour for a cab. I also HATE being overcharged by 50%.