FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Florence - Train Station to hotel
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:23 am
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by slawecki
that is a very short walk and pretty safe. pickpocketing is a national sport in italy, so be on guard for them. the restaurant is great, and not expensive by florence prices.
I've really never even come close to getting pickpocketed in Florence. Just need to not look like a target and keep your head up when you walk, just like any other city.

If there's anything awful about Florence it's the hawkers trying to sell you junk. You really can't be polite with them or they'll follow you for longer than you'd like. Same with the people trying to give you a "free" bracelet or book. Raise your voice and be firm. I used to try being polite and learned that they don't go for that, whether it's done in English or Italian.

Funny story - some guy was trying the free bracelet thing on us this past February. He reached out and started to put a bracelet on my 2 year old daughter because I tried being polite, since I'm trying to set an example for my kid. I'm not all that imposing, but I'm not a small guy either, so the guy was completely off guard when my wife flipped her $ as soon as the guy's hand went near my daughter (who I was holding at the time). He wasn't a small guy either, but he ran off cursing and saying I owed him a coffee. Your move, buddy