FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Priority Boarding - is this a record?
View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:47 am
drvannostren

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I. Love. This. Thread.

It's tremendous. When you go to the US airports have you noticed most of them contract out wheelchairing? Seems there's always less of em there. But I have definitely seen the 10-15 wheelchairs coming down the bridge at YVR or YYZ offloading a host of people who don't really need them, same with the golf carts driving through the terminal. It's a courtesy and whatever, but it's a bit much.

I'm far too polite in some situations. In Canada, I think we've got it down to a science. Each person says "no you go ahead" and then someone just goes to stop the cycle. It's dumb but we all get it. The US I find to be fairly similar outside of my experiences in LA/NY where it's very "me first".

Anyone travelled to Colombia? Lines? What lines? 2 lanes of traffic always means 3 cars across. If there's 12 inches wide a motorcycle will fill that space at a red light. Wanna get on the metro? Why wait for anyone to get off first? That just means your seat will get taken. Man sitting down, woman holding infant standing? I'll offer to take your bag, but I'm not giving up my seat. It's so strange to watch. I'm always on vacation there, so I let it slide, but I've learned I'm a bit more forceful when it comes to lines, I don't take from anyone but I also don't take it too seriously.

This lineup/preboard thing though is just the same as anything, we're all different. It's kinda fun to watch sometimes. You might ask for a fork to eat rice, someone else uses chopsticks, someone else uses a leaf, and someone else uses his bare hand. We've all got our different customs. The baby allowed to crap in the plane? Are you kidding me? But from some stories I've heard regarding mainland China, public defecation isn't really that out of line (at least for kids, I've always heard it regarding <6 year olds roughly).

Point is, you gotta play the game. If they call pre-boards, take your place in that line and know that even though they (this family of 3-4 or 29) might slow you down, you'll be getting off the plane first.

those people who can't operate their own gear. As a former baggage handler, it was bad enough to carry 10-12 strollers down a flight of wobbly stairs, which included the 4 baby combo stroller, the HUMMER brand stroller with offroading wheels, the stroller that folds but doesn't lock, but there's always one person who can't figure theirs out...you shouldn't be using it then.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 15, 2014 at 4:33 pm Reason: profanity