FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:41 pm
mikew99

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by keitherson
The mileage was too low for me to justify buying this. I don't need to visit Hong Kong another time.. even at 5.8 cpm/2.9 rdm. Don't even like Hong Kong.

Only a good deal for non-elite flyers and people just looking for a cheap fare regardless of miles.

Or maybe I'm trying to just make myself feel better for canceling it.. still double-guessing myself, only because it's CX. But still, it's just CX Y... but the F lounge is nice...
Well, there went my afternoon! I've been craving a long weekend in Hong Kong, so I have spent the past few hours researching the viability of this trip (including what CX Y is like). Hotel availability looks good for my dates, so the overall costs are reasonable...

...but I just can't pull the trigger on a super-long-haul flight in Y. I've made this trip many times in CX F and in CX J, but at this point in my life, my maximum tolerance in Y is 11-12 hours, and the outbound flight exceeds that by a few.

I might have been able to convince myself if the codeshare earned 100% on AA -- it would be my EXP-qualifying trip -- but with this trip earning only 50% on AA, I can't even use that excuse.

Great fare for those who are looking only for a visit to Hong Kong!

ETA: I was able to convince myself (for better or worse) that I could tolerate such a long flight in Y and booked it. Thanks to the OP!

Last edited by mikew99; Aug 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm Reason: Update status