FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bring Roasted Coffee Grounds from Brazil to USA.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:19 am
flaviocc

Programs: AA / TAM / Multiplus / Smiles / Hertz Gold
@catocony

Thank you for raising these matters, I have the opportunity to say some things that many people not know about Brazil.

Let's talk about the law:

When a Brazilian traveling to another country it can bring a maximum of $ 500 in purchases. The problem, as you said yourself, are the high prices charged for things here (especially electronics and clothes) so most ends up going through the quota limit established by law.

The Brazilian citizen can declare everything was bought and pay tax on the excess of $ 500 and making it (ie acting within the law) usually still comes out cheaper than buying in Brazil.

Here comes the problem (remember I wrote that I disagree with much that happens here?): The Brazilian wants to be smart and always try your luck and pass through customs without declaring the excess.

The Brazilian goes to Miami to shop in outlets and reselling clothes here (practicing illegally imported without paying taxes).

Who lives in Miami, Orlando or even New Jersey, may have seen the number of Brazilians, a few even rude (I apologize for that), with bags and bags of clothes and other things.

Last year we went at New Jersey outlet and start a chat with the guy in Johnny Rockets hamburgers who asked to us, if in Brazil the people are rich....I didn't understand and he explained me that always see Brazilian people with a lot of bags and thought the people there are very rich. I took a Brazilian money and explain to him...no...1 U$ = 2,40 R$....and he show me a big face of surprised.

There is a law that Brazilians violates and the Customs knows it. So you've seen and ever will see the majority of Brazilians with their huge bags being inspected. Anything related to racism. Simple.

And then there is the other side where the Customs fiscal abuse their authority and apply values ​​they want on the products, even when the invoice is shown by the Brazilian citizen.

I do not know what the law for foreign entering their belongings, but I'm sure if anyone here come loaded with electronic equipment and new clothes for resale, will be held through customs.

The Customs know that the dollars / euros are welcome to economy. Disturb foreign tourists is stupid. But one thing is clear, if they have the opportunity to earn tax can be sure that will be done, after all we are known as the country of the taxes.

Sorry for my long text, possible with mistakes in language...i'm learning.

@Squeakr,

uau ! awesome. Thank you so much. I think in SF, SD and LA I'll find.

Tks guys.