FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bring Roasted Coffee Grounds from Brazil to USA.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:17 am
catocony

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Americans returning with a bag of coffee is one thing. A brasileiro or or anyone else from Latin America is going to have a higher chance of a secondary anyways. Most likely the OP will get through fine, but I think you want to minimize the risk. If you are set on one brand of cachaça and want to bring a few bottles in, I would say go for it since you can't find much cachaça here. Coffee, there are far more options here than in Brasil.

Look at it another way. In 50 or so trips to Brasil, I've only had to run my bags through the x-rays once on arrival, and it was loaded with the usual stuff. I always take down 20-30 pounds of stuff like I-pods, thumb drives, ear buds, Victoria's Secret body lotions, perfume, Nike and other tennis shoes. All the stuff that is very expensive to buy in Brasil. I thought I was going to finally get hit with duties, but they didn't say a thing when I showed them my passport. Not a word.

But, almost every brasileiro with overstuffed bags is off to the alfandegas for a secondary. That's in both GRU and GIG. I saw it every time through Customs going into Brasil. So, their, brasilian customs knows to hit brasilieros because they know that a lot of them are bringing back a ton of electronics, clothing and cosmetics, and they want to get duties paid on it. Is that racism, or playing the odds?