FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bring Roasted Coffee Grounds from Brazil to USA.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:06 am
RadioGirl

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by flaviocc
Hi guys, good morning.

I would like to understand something : Brazilians are more suspicious than Germans, Swiss, French or American, why?

If I take my coffee (a habit and a pleasure) for my own use, declaring their entry as required by law, it will make me a suspect target, delaying my plans while still making my family feel bad, no thanks.

I Can pass without it and buy at the market.
I understand your frustration.

For what it's worth, in 2002 I visited your beautiful country and transited through the USA (MIA, BWI and LAX) on my way back to Australia. I took two bags of Brazilian coffee: one for my mother in the US and another for me to take home. I did declare them but did not have problems in either country.

You are absolutely right that being a Brazilian citizen should not make you any more suspicious than an American or European. However, I think the warning from catocony is about the sad truth that some US customs people are racist by nature or are trained to treat foreigners with more suspicion. Many Americans are ignorant about the world outside their own borders (or even within their own borders) and I can imagine that some customs people would not know the difference between Brazil and, for example, Colombia. In their minds, drugs come from South America so anyone from South America is suspicious. It should not be this way, but it is reasonable to warn you that this may happen.

I am a white woman with an American accent and I had no problems with coffee in 2002. But at LAX in 1993, I was treated with suspicion - they searched all my luggage in detail - because I mentioned to the customs officer that I had chosen to live and work in Australia.

I hope you have a really good trip and enjoy whatever coffee you choose.