FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Airbus 380 - problems and discontinuation" thread
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:11 pm
geminidreams

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The only non-state owned or non-majorly state-subsidized/partially state-owned airlines with the A380 are Lufthansa, Qantas, Air France, British Air, Korean, and Asiana. All other top ranked and A380 carriers are state owned or heavily subsidized (Emirates, Etihad, Malaysian, Singapore, Thai, and China Southern).

It is not surprising that the carriers with the most A380s rely heavily on state support/subsidies and vanity/ego when utilizing such large aircraft without the concern for cost/benefit and profit. The private enterprise carriers with A380s have all cut back on their A380 orders because they need to consider the cost/benefit and profits, and they all now understand that the A380 does not deliver in that way as much as other aircraft.

The US carriers DL, AA, and UA might not have A380s but they are among the most profitable carriers in the world. I'd say the US carriers knew what they were doing when they decided against the A380.
Emirates are very profitable and still growing significantly. I dont know why you think Emirates would be heavily subsidised when Dubai was basically broke a few years ago and had to be bailed out by Abu Dhabi. Not all ME carriers operate off oil revenues, Dubai has insignificant oil resources.