FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat {Archive}
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:04 pm
kmfdm91

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tagflyer
That could very well be the problem. Try to select the "age 2-4" category when you do the booking. They ask for the date of birth, so they will know the correct age for the child.
Not only would I not trust UA (or .sux) if this was correct, but this isn't what you are doing. Since when you travel with a child under the age of two, you have the OPTION of booking a seat for him/her or not, by doing this (selecting 2-4 years old), you are ensuring that you are paying for a seat for them.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I can't say for sure this is still true - but when I travelled with our kids as lap child's years ago I was not allowed to sit in first domestically as in case of emergency there were not enough oxygen masks in the overhead compartment to accommodate the number of passengers below - therefore economy it was.....
I've never been denied F or C travel with my daughter and wife. We've traveled in F on a few CPUs (very few, even as a 1K) and CR-1s, but with our SWUs, we've taken some domestic F segments in addition to the Int'l C segments. I've never had an issue with our lap infant in a 'premium' cabin...in fact, I believe it's generally easier to find seats there with the full complement of oxygen masks (3 per side), due to them being 'standard' for the Y rows (to have 3 masks per side/per row)...But then again, I've only traveled on UA, SQ and TG in premium cabins since my daughter was born in October 2012.

Originally Posted by tods27
Some of the RJs only have three masks in certain rows as well. I can't remember exactly which planes and which rows, but you could probably find it on here using google search.
This is correct. I almost guarantee that I've sat in rows that I shouldn't have with my wife & daughter due to FAs incompetence, but I'm happy to say that I've never needed the oxygen masks. That said, we had a surprisingly knowledgeable FA on our last DCA-EWR segment and he moved us from Row 11 to Row 12 (I believe) of an E-145 because they had the 3 masks on the DF side of the plane...he mentioned a few rows that had 3 masks, but I believe there were only three rows...so if there were more than 3 lap infants, i'm not sure what UA would do - IDB people?

-jeremy