FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming TATL trip - Linking PNRs and Award Travel Questions
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:16 am
DTWflyer

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Upcoming TATL trip - Linking PNRs and Award Travel Questions

My wife and I are planning an upcoming trip to Europe. I've been trying to book the trip in the easiest way possible, but a lot of things that I want to do are not available via delta.com and/or for award travel. I've found some workable solutions, so I'm trying to figure out if I can do the following.

I cannot get award travel to ZRH, but I can easily get a ticket to AMS.

Me:
Paid ticket DTW-AMS-ZRH; GVA-AMS-DTW
(DL + KLM codeshare)

Wife:
Award ticket DTW-AMS; AMS-DTW (Delta)
Paid ticket: AMS-ZRH; GVA-AMS (KLM)

1. Can I link our PNRs to get her into Elite (not EC) seats with me on the DL DTW-AMS flights?

2. I can probably just check both bags on my PNR to our destination, but would I have any issues with routing bags through if I were to have seperate DL and KLM tickets?

3. Are they issues she would run into with clearing customs with seperate tickets as such?

4. Is it worth paying for EC? I'm leaning toward no - as we are both relatively small/thin - I'm 5'11 she's 5'1

5. If I were to rent a car in ZRH and return in GVA do I pay one-way milage fees like here in the US?

6. Are there any better award availability if I were to just call instead of trying to force it on delta.com?

Any help/advise is appreciated. Thanks!