FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:28 am
jibi

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I cannot say enough great things about this property. We were upgraded to a Landmark Grand Canal room and I believe it has honestly spoiled us for the rest of our travels. The location of the property is fantastic and the views are amazing if you can score a canal-facing view. There are no crowds at all near this property, although it is steps away from crowds in all three directions (Accademia, Rialto, and St. Marks).

Platinum breakfast at the Terrace was fantastic! We rarely wake up for breakfasts, but this was an exception to make. So great.

One word of advice for anyone that is thinking of visiting Venice for the first time. Do not trust your friends' advice when they say you can "see everything in Venice in a day"! We heard that from many people leading up to our trip. We took their advice and booked 2 nights. As a few of our friends suggested, we "did" Venice - the tourist version - in 2 hours. However, we could have spent another few weeks "seeing" Venice (and enjoying Venice). It is a great city and it has a lot more to offer than St. Marks, the Doge's Palace, and the Rialto Bridge. The food can be rather inexpensive if you decide not to sit down for service and don't get food at the Rialto Bridge or St. Marks. I would recommend Antico Forno (near Rialto) for great pizza slices ... just get them for takeaway and picnic back on the side of the canal. This will cost you around 15 euro for 4 slices and 2 drinks.