FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No availability for Friday - Sunday, but availability for Friday - Monday. How come?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:18 pm
BobH

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by CD747
I was looking at hotels to stay at, and one hotel had no availability from Friday through Sunday, but did have availability if the check-out date was on Monday. Quite a few SPG hotels (and I guess others too) have similar availability rules.

I'm just wondering if our more commercially minded members could suggest the business reason is for a hotel arranging their availability in this way? I can see they wouldn't want to stop a guest staying Friday to Monday if Sunday night is a quiet night for them - but surely (at the very minimum) they would want to accept a guest staying Friday to Sunday, but paying an average room rate equal to a stay from Friday to Monday?

If I had to guess, I'd say there are upper limits to how much they can charge, so they are forced into playing with availability to maximise profit instead, but that seems kind of hard to believe and I'd be interested to know the actual reasons.

Thanks!
Did you take the time to see if there's a major event going on in whatever city you're going to.

Particularily true where I leave where 100k people is a considered a small crowd in the Big House.

Bob H