FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Parker: "To try to change the program (to revenue based) right now would be foolish."
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:53 am
dcdavido

Originally Posted by dml105
Wow! I had never thought of that being a strong reason to keep mileage-based points, instead of revenue-based points, the latter encouraging corporate fliers to run up the bill. FF programs are supposed to get the employee to steer the employer towards using a particular brand every time. I would not have thought it until you said it that revenue based programs put the employee and employer at odds with each other more than they already are. (Employee probably picks the more expensive flight already when it's on the airline she likes.)
I have a good friend that works for a very large company (that shall remain unnamed) and has to book through their travel website. Everyone there knows how to game the system. Require a direct flight. Put in times where your desired airline is the cheapest choice. Require a connection. Whatever.

However, they can't fly first class or buy a full fare coach ticket to upgrade etc. So the solid Middle Class of airline travel. Not the upper crust paying for First or the kaykers of the world, but frequent travelers who game the system to put all their travel on one airline.

But take that incentive away, and you'll lose those people.

What's interesting, is that United is counting on people to go a step further. If you buy a Y or B ticket, you are pretty much assured of a upgrade (or even a discount FC ticket), but good luck (even as a 1K) of getting a status upgrade. For leisure travel that might be the case (hey, for an extra $100 I can ride in first, why not?), but certainly not for companies. It would be against company policy to buy a more expensive ticket on purpose. But your heaviest frequent flyers are those that mix business and personal travel. It's tough to do 100,000 miles on personal travel alone.

Last edited by dcdavido; Aug 8, 2014 at 10:59 am