FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip To Ukraine, Belarus & Russia
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:04 am
DanielW

Day 3.

Back on the subway to go to the end of Line 2.

I got a tip not in the guidebooks from one of the other guys on the Chernobyl tour that it was apparently possible to visit the former residence of Viktor Yanukovych, the ex-president who fled during the Maidan protests back in February.

After managing to find the right Marshrutka (share taxi) out to the village of Novi Petrivtsi, I arrived at the Mezhyhirya Residence. The entire property was surrounded by a ~7 metre tall green fence, and was originally an offical state residence since 1935, but mysteriously became the private property of Yankuvych when he became President in 2009. It has since been claimed back by the Ukrainian governemt.

The 140 hectare property was taken over by protesters when the president fled the country..

As well as his own golf course, the president had his own pirate ship!

Old Lincoln. The property is now a park for Ukrainian citizens, who were enjoying the gardens and picnicing under the trees.

And quite a few couples getting wedding photo's.

At the residence's zoo.

The zoo had a wide variety of animals.

Including quite a few ostriches.

Back at the metro station after catching the Marshrutka back to Kiev.

At a local market with a big cup of blueberries for 30 hyrvnia.

Getting some more Borscht & Kebab for lunch back in central Kiev.

The bell tower at Saint Sophia's Cathedral.

And the cathedral itself. Built in 1596, the cathedral was destined to be demolished by the Soviets, but they relented after protests, and it was turned into a museum instead.

Outside a Roshen Candy store. Roshen is owned by Petro PoRoshenko, the candy billionaire, and now Ukraine's new president.

A couple of Soviet Classics.

Just some burgernomics. With the recent political and economic problems the Ukrainian hyrvnia has reduced in value by more than a third this year, and according to the Economist's latest Big Mac index, Ukraine is the currently the cheapest place in the world to buy a Big Mac, at ~$1.66 each.

Day 4.

At Kiev's Boryspil airport for the short flight to Minsk, Belarus.

And arriving at Minsk airprt (MSQ) after the short ~50 minute flight in a Belavia CRJ.

And successfully getting my Belarus visa on arrival.

I negotiated a taxi for the ride into Minsk. I was expecting an old worn out volkswagen or something, but got to enjoy a brand new Mercedes S-Class limo for the 40k drive into the city.

After pulling up outside my hotel...

...Hotel Yubileiny.

After checking in, I went for a walk around central Minsk. At the Holy Spirit Cathedral.

Originally built in 1633.

Catching the Minsk metro for 3700 rubles, or ~35 cents. Inflation must be very high in Belarus, as all the prices in my guidebook were out by a a factor of 3!

The very interesting architecture of the Belarus National Library. The shape is apparently a Rhombicuboctahedron in case you were wondering.

And the view from the top.

Back on the metro again for the ride back to central Minsk.

Shop.

Victory Square.

The old apartment (first balcony above tree in middle) of Lee Harvey Oswald.

Pizza & coke for dinner.

Day 5.

At the island of tears, a memorial for Belarusian soldiers killed during the Soviet-Afghan War.

The National Opera and Ballet Theatre of Belarus.

At a display for WW2 at the National History Museum.

A tram going along Babruyskaya Vulitsa.

At the KGB Headquarters. Belarus was one of the few intelligence agencies that kept the Russian name "KGB" after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Statue of Lenin outside the Belarus Government buildings.

Late lunch of bacon wrapped pork.

At the Minsk train station in the evening.

About to catch the overnight train to Moscow.

Although a little cosy, the train ride was great and I slept pretty well. Belarus and Russia have an open border, so no passport check in the middle of the night too.

Last edited by DanielW; Aug 7, 2014 at 8:17 am