FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:05 pm
1Konsultant

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
There's really no difference in individual comfort compared to the widebodies, and you get to circumvent big difficult hubs in Europe.
Aren't 757 Y seats more narrow than their widebody counterparts? According to SeatGuru for UA, it's 17.3" on a 757 and 18" on a 777/767.

Personally, I try to avoid flying 757s TATL (with a few exceptions). Some of it is mental, but I've also had several horrible experiences having to refuel due to headwinds coming back from EU. One made me miss a friend's wedding.

Here are my exceptions:
- as folks have said, to/from secondary markets where only alternatives are connecting or *A Y-. The benefit is really UA Y+ vs. non-UA Y- not the 757. For these, I sometimes actually prefer the connection
- vs. the UA 747 in Y with horrible IFE. For these, I try to select flights with other any other equipment before opting for a 757
- an upgrade can clear on a 757 vs. WL on a wide body (I'm picky but not stupid!)

That said, I think it's just pathetic when UA uses the 757 from EWR to major markets such as LHR/CDG. That's more of an issue of competitive strength than market size.

Last edited by 1Konsultant; Aug 6, 2014 at 6:14 pm