FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:16 pm
bubbabp

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I spent 7 nights here in July after staying 5 nights at RC in Kapalua, the drop off in service was obvious and immediate. I had booked a partial ocean view suite using cash+points and DSU, upon arriving at the hotel at 4 pm I was told the room was not available yet and that they would give me a $100 resort credit to use for the 45 minutes they said it would take to get the room ready. Great, no problem, headed down to a table at the pool bar to grab lunch where I was ignored for 20 minutes while attempting to make get the attention of someone who may have worked there as it was tough to even identify them since they wear no uniforms. I didnt receive the phone call that my room was ready for over another hour and was led to a ground floor suite that pretty much sat right on the pool deck and walkway to Morimotos, in other words there was no privacy whatsoever. I asked to switch to a higher floor but no other suites were available, so they offered to comp me a cabana at the pool for the week and refund the DSU certificate. Seemed like a good deal as the cabanas typically cost $200 per day and include lunch. Except these were apparently not the normal cabanas and they included no lunch and not much service either as I sat there for over an hour one day before someone came over. 3 weeks later I am still trying to contact the property to refund the DSU which they had promised. Service over the rest of the stay was hit or miss with a lot more misses then a property of this class should have. Place was very tranquil bordering on cold & dull with very little indication that you were actually in Hawaii. As a gold passport member staying in $1200 a night room for $150 + points I was fairly annoyed by all of this, if I had been paying the standard rate I probably would have left after the first night.

The PROS are the benefits to diamond members are quite generous. Up to $150 per day for breakfast at the Kaana Kitchen and they let you also use the credit for food&bev at the Mokapu market if you wish as well. You could probably stock up on snacks and drinks for the duration of your stay if you wanted and if the minibar fridge were not so small. The beach is possibly the best on Maui with great views of all 4 Maui islands. Also snorkeling just 20 ft off the beach is very good, I saw huge sea turtles all 3 days I went out. Live music every night is also a plus but it tends to be the same thing every night.

I would skip Morimotos unless you wish to pay $200 for sushi you could find in your local strip mall.