FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:05 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, the memories...

The next morning, August 5th, I was issued a pair of gold colored boarding cards for the short flight up to SEA followed by the longer flight to Honolulu. The color of the boarding card denoted what class I was traveling in - First Class, of course. Even though the flight number was the same from PDX to HNL, there was an equipment change at our intermediate stop in SEA. The first leg was aboard a single aisle Boeing 727-200 while the Hawaii flight was operated with a DC-10.

Inflight catering was provided by Trader Vics.

The gold colored boarding cards got my attention here as I believe we are talkin' about good old Continental Airlines - the Proud Bird with the Golden Tail.
Right on, JL! Continental it was, with a 727-200 switching to a DC-10-10 complete with a mid-cabin table for four in First Class and mai tais served in wooden containers.

As to the caterer though, it was not Trader Vics. They were the official Hawaii caterer for United Airlines. Trader Vics used to have a street level restaurant in the Seattle Westin. I ate there back in the early 80s and it was very good indeed.

And I see in the post just above this that you've correctly identified Don The Beachcomber as Continental's caterer. Well done!

This is making me hungry. Excuse me while I order up a plate of Chicken Sonoma here at Alaska Airlines' LAX Boardroom... (IMO the best little airline lounge at LAX)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm