FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip to Japan (LH C, Hyatt’s, Fukuoka, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Tokyo w/pics)
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:49 am
broenor

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
Kyoto
The next stop on my journey was Kyoto. From Fukuoka I also took the Nozomi shinkansen.

The trip from Hakata station to Kyoto took nearly 2 hours and 50 min.

Kyoto is many ways Japan concentrated in one place. It has a total of 17 UNESCO heritage sites including ancient temples, shrines and gardens. It was Japans capital for many hundred years until 1868 and has therefore an essential position in Japans history. It is a modern city with a wide variety of accommodations (both western style hotels and Japanese style ryokans), dining and shopping options. But also old neighborhoods still prevails. Kyoto should be on the itinerary for any visit to Japan.

This was actually my third visit to Kyoto. The last one was 8 years ago. But I decided to include Kyoto this time as well since the city has so much to offer. This visit I split my time to see some new sights and rediscover some previous visited sights.

I stayed at Hyatt Regency Kyoto located in southern Higashiyama part of the city.

Hotel entrance:

Room:

Trattoria sette Italian restaurant

Kiyomizu-dera is an impressive temple in the Higashiyama part of the city. It was first build in 798, while the present structure is a replica dating from 1633.

Next to the temple there is old neighborhoods with shops, restaurants handicraft and so on.

The first night I had dinner at Touzan restaurant. I tried some Japanese white wine that was very good. The meal itself was IMO fantastic.

Teriyaki chicken in foil was the main course:

Jelly with fresh fruit as dessert: