FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip to Japan (LH C, Hyatt’s, Fukuoka, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Tokyo w/pics)
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:41 am
broenor

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
Fukuoka
The train ended at Hakata station in Fukuoka. Hakata was one of the two cities along with Fukuoka castle town that merged to become the city of Fukuoka in 1889. “Hakata” is still used for the JR station and the area around the station.
Fukuoka is situated in south east of Japan. It is the biggest city in Kyûshû region with a population of nearly 1.5 mill. It is a lively and vibrant city and is also a center for computer game industry in Japan. The city hosts a number of festivals including the Hakata Gion Yamakasa Matsuri festival each July. The main event is where large portable floats are carried by a team of men in a 5 km race.

I didn’t get any picture at the race itself but this drawing bought at the local history museum will give you an impression:

I stayed at Grand Hyatt Fukuoka. The hotel is centrally located in Canal City, a shopping and restaurant complex, about 10 min walk from the train station.

Hotel entrance in evening:

Lobby:

Room:

View from my room:

Bar area:

Hallway:

Before check-in I went to get my first meal after arriving in Japan. It was some chicken (fried) with omelett and a soup. Very delicious.

The main sights in Fukuoka includes Fukuoka Asian art gallery which holds both a permanent collection of contemporary Asian art and special exhibitions.

And an interesting local historic museum.

There are also temples like Kushida – jinja (central sponsor for the Hakata – Gion festival) and Shôfuku-Ji. The buildings in Shôfuku-Ji temple are normally closed for the public but the temple area makes a nice retreat from the city.

Kushida – jinja:

Shôfuku-Ji

Rivers and canals run through the city and separates Hakata from other central parts as Tenjin.

Tenjin area has shopping centers and a bustling night life. After dark stalls selling skewers with grilled meat and so on are popping up along the canals and the main roads.

Fukuoka also had a castle once but it no longer exists, only the remains. The former castle grounds have a nice view over the city though.

Fukuoka is also a portal city, both for commercial ships and cruise ships.