FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:24 am
AllieKat

Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
That should not have happened. All ATMs in the US have to select the "US Debit" application when it is present on the card (pdf here). The "US Debit" application provides the ATM the opportunity to select the cheapest network that is supported by both the ATM and the issuer to process the transaction. My guess is that Bank of America is still testing their own systems for their own EMV debit rollout and that's why it's given as an option for now. Eventually, you won't be able to select the application on the card.
WhatWhatTech,

Furthering my statement that you're wrong, you should read the links you post. I decided to read it. Read item 6.1. "To facilitate routing a debit transaction to multiple networks supported by the card/issuer, the U.S.
common debit AID should be selected by the device."

Note the word SHOULD. Then read further down:

"Based on the solution implementation, the device should store a list of all U.S. common AIDs it seeks to accept and once the U.S. common debit AID is identified, the device may select the U.S. common debit AID even though it will not be the highest priority in the card. It is important to note that the selection
of the U.S. common debit AID is not mandatory; however, by not selecting the U.S. common debit AID, the merchant may limit their choice of debit routing."

It is NOT mandatory to select the common debit AID and the Visa Debit AID is NOT for international use only, it is clearly flagged as allowed for domestic use, heck the banks would probably prefer it be used.

If Bank of America wishes to let their cardholders choose, that is their business and there is no mandate otherwise.

EDIT - I just read what you wrote. Your original post was that they HAVE to select the common AID, and that's what I was pointing out is wrong. It's absolutely in their best interest to do so, but they don't have to.