FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NRT-HKG on Air Japan UA code share: Experiences
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:18 pm
Exleftseat

Originally Posted by BH62
Had asked a UA agent about seating & she gave me an apparent NH locator & said that "they" arbitrarily gave us seats 33H & K. Since that's pretty much at the back of the bus I tried to go into the ANA website to change them since a seat map found via a dummy booking showed lots of forward availability. Tried all possible combinations of name(s), the(UA)ticket#, and that apparent NH locator, but nooooo. (sigh). Next step is to call the NH 1-800 number & see what's possible. Maybe I'll learn the secret for getting into the NH booking.

Added later: Struck out w/ ANA. Rep said there was no way to log in & select seats since "it's a code share". He "improved" the seats to 28HK & said that was the best that could be done (even though the dummy booking indicated available seats further forward ... sigh). So it is what it is.
Found out the hard way, booked on UA website to CGK and flights show up as codeshares with UA flight number. That makes it impossible to look up on the ANA website and you have to call to make seat reservations. We are in Y and I think I got the worst seats available in the back. The ANA phone staff is unwilling or unable to assign better seats, like exit seats or bulkhead, which somehow I understand. They are reserved for ANA elites, as it should be. But being unable to chose a seat from the website is disappointing. And UA does not give the option to book the ANA flight using a NH flight number, which would enable seat choice on the NH website.