FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:35 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Wouldn't EMV have stopped this from happening though?

I'm a bit confused with this example. In this case did you get a new card number issued? On every card that I've had, including Chase cards, they've indicated to me to make sure that I follow up with the merchants where I have recurring billing arrangements to update the card information. I've never had merchants allow an old card number to be used to continue processing transactions, recurring or otherwise. In fact, there was an issue one time when I had to get a new number issued because the merchant processed the credit to the original form of payment, which was the old card number. I had to call Chase to get the credit pushed over to the new card number.
In our case, new number did NOT prevent recurring charges from old number migrated to the new number that was what Chase told me in 2011 when that happened.

Also keep in mind, despite a new number is issued, the account remains the same Active account, not a closed account. When in the case of a Closed card, the account is CLOSED, no longer active. This is the major difference between a re-issued new card number on an existing Active account and a canceled card from Closed account. They are NOT of the same meaning.

In our case, despite a new number was issued, a 2nd unauthorized charge from the SAME merchant showed up. That was when I called Chase, they told me they could not stop it unless the merchant stopped it. The lady at the security dept told me to "just add that to the Affidavit form" which despite the conditions said I needed to return in 30 days upon such form being sent, I had not gotten it yet when the 2nd fraudulent charge occurred, and it was on the 25th day after reporting the first one.

Bear in mind, that was experience from 2011. Since then the dispute on unauthorized charge process has been streamlined a lot. I had a hotel charge dispute in 2012 - not a fraudulent one but the hotel did not know how to bill the hotel program for a Chase free night cert stay, and billed my card used for guarantee 5 months after the stay. The process was much quicker compared to prior years' experience but then it was of different nature as well.

My brother's experience that he had to file Police Report to get TIVO back off, was a 2012 experience.

Things may have gotten better since then. I do not have new experiences on breached cards in the past 2 years.

My friend had his Target Amex prepaid Debit Card compromised in the Target breach, and AMEX was almost useless on the initial dealing. I do not hear further from him on this, presumably he eventually got that fixed as he continues to use the same card.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 2, 2014 at 12:41 pm