FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Palermo to Naples - Embraer E-175 - Planeside Check Luggage?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:58 pm
KLouis

Originally Posted by boltjames
I'm flying from Palermo to Naples in late Augus, Flight 1206 is a 50 minute flight, it's an Embraer E-175, there are 6 of us in our party.

When I booked this flight I didn't realize that the last ferry from Naples to Capri is only 2 hours after we land. It's critical that our luggage stays with us and gets checked on the plane.

Question: Must our luggage fit in the overhead or does PMO do plane-side check in where one rolls the luggage onto the tarmac, puts it onto the trolley, ground personnel load it into the aircraft? Equally importantly, if that is the case, when we land does NAP crew unload the baggage on the runway?

Nightmare scenario is that we land on time but have a long delay to get the bags out of baggage claim.

TIA

BJ
No plane-side check in as such in Europe. There are, of course, plenty of cases in which luggage that won't fit in the bins is taken from you at the gate (basically, what you want) but this is not a guarantee: the SOP is to ask to see it at regular check in and, if it doesn't fit, to ask you to check it at the counter. As for getting from the airport to the port in Naples at ~8 pm, well, good luck! This is rush hour, the time when people actually go home. Prepare yourself for some delays...

Of course, I'm not saying that you will necessarily miss the boat, but you're pushing your luck. What about taking an earlier flight or planning a night in Naples? Especially the latter alternative has some advantages: a nice dinner, perhaps, at Giuseppone a mare and then arrive at Capri next morning instead of around midnight.