FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How the TSA beat fliers into submission
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:50 am
arctikjon

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
I would have to agree that the TSA is more of a theater troupe than a security system at this point. It has been proven that it is easier to defeat the full body scanner than a metal detector (at least with metal anyway), and the over all incompetence level is very high. Just yesterday I was told there was an oversized liquid in my bag (there wasnt) they pulled the bag tore it apart found nothing, re-ran it and somehow it was no longer there...

The logical first step in all of this is the immediate removal of the full body scanners. If random selection can send a completely un-prechecked passenger (presumably the high security risk) to the precheck lane, we have to ask our selves what the real point here? A fence is only as strong as its lowest point so if we believe that precheck is a loosened security let not think that evil doers are going to climb the high fence. Getting precheck is supremely easy, if a terrorist wanted to abuse it all they would have to do is fly a handfull of flights on any domestic airline to get enrolled (bypassing the supposed background check).

All security should function as precheck does today, then if we really have concerns randomly select passengers for additional screening. (I realize many will be opposed but truthfully the patdowns are the most secure thing they do even if we dont like it).