FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest eyes northern push, threatening Air Canada, WestJet
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:58 pm
FCfree

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
avoid Canada's scandalous airport fees
While I do not enjoy paying Canada's airport fees, they are what they are. IIRC, a flight into YVR did not incur those fees. A flight out had about a $50 fee. OK, it won't be as cheap as flying out of SEA. Still, if SWA provides competition on the DEN-YVR run, it will be just like the DEN-LAS run. United used to own that route with 14 flights a day. They would rip us off on the price -- and that was before the invention of bag fees.

Today United flies 4 flights per day DEN-LAS. SWA owns the route. Its a lot cheaper, especially inflation adjusted.

DEN-YVR won't be the price of DEN-SEA, but it still will be cheaper than letting UA set the price. All past experience is that when UA sets the price, its over priced. And then add bag fees and change fees on top of that.

Even if there is no price change, you still get free bags and no change fees. But, I'm betting on a price reduction. If you don't like SWA, don't fly SWA. Pay more. Its ok with me.