FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:55 am
laxsnaogg

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by manku
FWIW, the Hyatt CC home page makes a big deal of the Platinum Status...it is one of the highlights of the card. A friend of mine just returned from the Napa Andaz using the same rewards and cc - he got an upgrade to a suite and free breakfast for being a platinum...which only confirms my impression that the Maui Andaz either dropped the ball with me or doesn't really take care of platinums.

Also, the day before I left I asked for late checkout. Our plane left OGG @ 2:50...I wanted to give us two hours minimum, so I asked for a 1:00 PM checkout. After about 10 miinutes, the front desk reluctantly agreed to it...and acted as if they were doing me a huge favor.

We ended up leaving at 11:30 AM, ate lunch at Flatbread in Paia, so the late checkout wasn't even necessary.
So a platinum friend of yours got an upgrade and breakfast at an entirely different property...How exactly does that "confirm" that the Andaz Maui dropped the ball and doesn't take care of their platinum guests?

This has absolutely noting to do with Plat vs. Diam; so let's drop the haves vs have not debate. I've been plat and Dia over the years, and have repeatedly had many different experiences at both levels. The only difference is that when I've been given a less than desirable, room, I've taken the extra 10 seconds to ask if there was a better room available. In fact, I do this anywhere I stay, whether I have status or not. If I am told the hotel is full (and it appears to be full), and that's the best they have to offer me, I believe them...maybe that makes me a sucker, but it seems logical that I will not get a better room than I have paid for if the hotel is full, regardless of what status I do or do not have.

This is exactly why your beloved Hyatt credit card page says specifically "Upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability upon arrival"... that's not even hidden in a foot note or buried in terms and conditions...its stated clearly in the list of benefits, right next to the "click to apply" button.

Clearly no one in this thread is going to change your mind about whether or not the hotel was being dishonest with you; but if you suspected that to be the case during your stay, you should have asked them, and given them a chance to explain. Making accusations and complaining after the fact is pointless. Although it has made for an interesting read