FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC applies to fly HND-YYZ from spring 2014
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:33 pm
winnipegrev

I've been on it 4 times in Y now including R/T to HND. I posted this in the HND thread. (below)

I've also tried J and PY briefly and they are very nice. I personally prefer the old pods for legroom (no for box vs. 787) but the new J has MUCH better IFE, is more private and not run down like the classic pod. Tried it within a week of the 777HD in J, what a massive difference in product.

And here's a link to someone's blog discussing 787 J on domestic runs. http://first2board.com/hometoyyz/rev...anada-new-787/

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I have, was in Y. Now that I've been on quite a number of AC 787 flights I can say the following about Y seats:

They are about the same comfort level as the 777 9-abreast, padding wise. I was beside no one on several flights and an adult-sized person on one, and only with a large-ish person it is not comfortable. As all seats would be, even 18" wide, when beside people of size.

Legroom is just as good as the 777, end of story. Recline is more generous it seems as the seat bottom slides forward and the back still reclines 5". Didn't notice a shorter seat cushion as some have claimed, felt 100% standard to me. Pretty comfortable.

IFE is nice, passengers seated around me actually commented on it. They've already added/removed some games since the 787 was introduced, so I'm hoping they keep mixing it up.

The armrest lights/FA call button are a problem. After the first few hours everyone has made the mistake and the flashes of light become less common, though I counted at least 6 FA call buttons on at one time.

LED lighting in the cabin is much better than 777 fluorescent/LED combo. On the 777 during snack service the pink lighting is way too bright and makes it hard to sleep through, but the 787 maintains dimmer cabin lighting for the snack and is much more pleasant. LED bathroom lighting is good as the dark blue prevents light entering the cabin each time the door is opened. Makes bulkhead seats more palatable, though I moved since 31 doesn't have a good window.

A self-serve bar was set up in the Y galley. Limited drinks like juice/water and plastic cups, along with the leftover sandwiches and cookies once the snack service ended. Again much better than the 777s slide-based system.

Comfortable plane for long routes. Immediately it climbs to 35-36000 feet even tankering 12hr fuel whereas the 777s tend to go at 29000-31000 at first which is usually bumpier. Climbed up >40000 after a bit of burn on the 787 and was smooth the whole way.

My new favorite long haul aircraft as long as I don't have to experience large people next to me. Routes to Asia I think it'll do just fine on.