FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are you more concerned about flying given the demise of four planes recently?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:54 am
shawbridge

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Are you more concerned about flying given the demise of four planes recently?

My wife is concerned about our upcoming trip to Croatia and the Czech Republic (which is preceded by a weekend in Toronto). Her fear is that somehow terrorists will now be targeting passenger planes and maybe that the overall risk of flying is higher.

Like a lot of FTers I fly a lot -- after Eastern Europe, I have a trip to DC and then Frankfurt and home, then the next week London and DC then home, and then Frankfurt the next week, and so it goes. As a result, I compartmentalize my thinking and haven't even thought about the risk of flying.

Do you think that the terrorist attacks on passenger planes is part of a trend that should change the our perception of the probability of flying? Are the other crashes indicative of a trend in the flight-worthiness of planes (e.g., poorer maintenance or willingness to fly in bad conditions)? Or are these just akin to a few heads in a row in a sequence of random coin flips and shouldn't change our assessment of the probability of plane accidents?