FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Greetings from TSA
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:52 pm
Jeannietx

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
Yes. We are going to expand the use of Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) in TSA Pre✓™ at select checkpoints. However, the vast majority of passengers in TSA Pre✓™ will still be screened via a walk-through metal detector. This will primarily be rolled out at larger airports with more than one TSA Pre✓™ lane.

TSA Pre✓™ eligible passengers, who prefer to be screened via an AIT, will now have the opportunity to do so at these select checkpoints. Many passengers with joint replacements, prosthetics or other medical devices that would regularly alarm when passing through a walk-through metal detector often prefer this technology because it is quicker and less invasive than a pat-down. Unlike standard lanes, passengers will not be required to divest their shoes, light outerwear and/or belt in the AIT.

Previously, if a passenger alarmed when passing through the walk-through metal detector after multiple passes, that passenger would be required to receive a pat-down. Passengers at these select TSA Pre✓™ checkpoints, where available, will now have the option of being screened via AIT, possibly precluding the need for a pat-down.

Currently (last flight May 2014) my TSA Pre has been useless since I have a cardiac device, and the device maker and my doctor tell me to NOT go through any of the machines. So I opt for pat-down every time and sometimes it takes 20-30 minutes or more for them to get a female to pat me down. I don't object to the pat-downs but a quicker system would certainly be welcome.

Home airport is IAH but I travel all over the US and internationally.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Jul 25, 2014 at 6:19 pm