FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just started up a trucking business, what is the best gas card?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:05 pm
nandemo1

Originally Posted by jacobsta811
For point 1), where I am, plenty - the shell across the street from my house is right off an interstate exit and has Tractor Trailer diesel pumps. A reasonable number of the truck stops in the area I am in, at least, are Shell and BP branded.

For Point 2), for the extra money. If he just wanted simplicity, get a Barclay's arrival and screw all the rest, but that is hardly the most profitable method - and this is *flyertalk* for god's sake - simplicity is hardly the way most things here work.

Edit to add, not for chump change either - at 120k/yr in fuel expenses, every extra 1% he can earn is an additional $1200 - so if he can do all his gas at 5% vs the easy 2% - extra $3600/yr.
I stand corrected, there are truck friendly locations with Shell and BP branded gas now that I think about it, though I am still of the belief that when it comes to the business that puts food on the table, don't make the financials unnecessarily complicated. It becomes a pain for whomever does the accounting and when an IRS audit comes around and you have to do a song and dance justifying how office supply purchases are actually fuel purchases so you can reap rewards that aren't showing in your financials, you're just opening the door for additional scrutiny.