FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:29 pm
sinoflyer

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by entropy
UA has been handing out pink slips to airport workers all over North America to save money.
I agree with you; I've been upset about the conversion to contract workers at many stations, and I'm not impressed with Smisek's competence in labor relations overall.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
The $500 pretax felt like ... gee thanks, we're worth $375 after tax to you guys (assuming 35% tax rate). Big whoop. I'd rather get nothing and be ignorant to the fact that the company didn't give an F. Major part of the reason I quit.
To be fair, WN also paid out profit sharing earlier this year, so this $200 bonus ($130 after taxes ) is gravy on top of that. I've received bonuses and profit sharing checks in the past and felt the similar way as you did, but from an overall perspective, the extra $130 is a generous gesture on WN's part knowing that employees are not going to change their feelings about their employer either way because of it.