FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Game of Thrones Star Denied Access to British Airways Club Lounge [Under age]
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:24 pm
_nate

I find this all a bit amusing given that the usual topic of conversation is how many mini bottles of champagne one can get through on a flight from LHR-AMS. (None right now, of course. Bloody Maries all the way.) I wonder at what age those forthright members who are posting in BA's favour had their first drink.

I, for one, find the current rules regarding alcohol in the UK rather tiresome, and I remember a time when, now and again, 16- or 17-year-olds managed to sneak into pubs, and the world didn't end, but now it's a case of 30-year-olds being asked for ID if they "look under 25" or are with someone who does. Remember when compulsory ID cards were postulated for the UK? Was that popular? Yet we now have a situation where any youngish person who wants a drink has to carry de facto mandatory ID.

All this would actually be relevant if the lounges were licensed premises, but of course, they're specifically exempt, just like royal palaces, and I'm stunned we have pages of people posting about the law without actually knowing a thing about it.

Last edited by _nate; Jul 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm