FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CSP questions from new owner!
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:59 pm
bribro

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
You may want to consider applying for the Chase Freedom first, then CSP 6-12 months later after you've built up a positive history. The Freedom is easier to qualify for.

Originally Posted by OliverB
First and foremost, as an authorized user, will I be receiving a card with my own name on it?
Yes, but as you probably know, your in-laws will be legally liable for any charges. You have some very trusting in-laws.

We are pre-paying our entire trip through a travel agency in foreign currency (JPY) as we've contracted a third party to arrange all hotel accommodations for us due to language barriers as well as special and otherwise difficult to obtain requests.

I've bolded out the bit of text that was concerning.

Am I to understand that the 5k bonus is not applicable to any purchases made in foreign currency?
No. You are making a purchase, not ordering foreign currency. You're fine.

I also wonder how I will be able to spend points as an authorized user. Will they be directly transferable to any loyalty programs in my name at full value, or would they only be transferrable to accounts associated with, or in the name of, the primary card holder?
Technically, the latter. However, in practice, I've been able to transfer my points from UR to loyalty programs associated with other people's names. Just beware that you are technically breaking the rules if you do so and could be at risk for AA.