FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Chances for NRT/HND to East Coast Business Class Upgrade?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:26 pm
eleeut

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
For OP on the outbound, perhaps you can fly ex-NYC the night before so as not to risk missing the TPAC seg? I was able to do an SDC before to change an early morning flight to an evening before one to pad time in the event RJ scheduling wackiness ensued for a DCA -> EWR -> TPAC routing. Of course I paid for a hotel at EWR, so I ate that cost too for the peace of mind. However, this is a YMMV thing, as I tried it again and the agent said it would be incurring additional fees.

I commonly see IAD // NRT R space during weekdays. Haven't done EWR // NRT before.

I haven't missed an TPAC upgrade following the general scheduling as specified upthread since winter of '10 (after learning about how to upgrade!). Once was a battlefield up on a Thursday ex-EWR. Half the time I've confirmed at booking. Last time returning from Asia on a Sunday in June, I changed routing ex-HKG several days out and paying the change fee to ride NQ in Y and confirm for NRT -> IAD when J < ~6 for HKG -> EWR. Basis fare that day was Q with about 1.5 months on WL.

////// edit //////
O/T but I just found my old email confirmations for my first TPAC upgrade... CO B fares R/T EWR // HKG at ~1800.... i miss those days!

Last edited by eleeut; Jul 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm